Thursday, January 27, 2011

Ms. Rachel's piano recital

Starting at the front: MaryJane Marsh, 
McKade Pay, Bake Muirbrook, Ellie Marsh
Rohit Singh, Austin Muirbrook, Noah Jorgensen, Chloe Marsh, Madison Muirbrook,
Summer Jorgensen, Ellie Ekstrom, Porter Marsh and me (Ms. Rachel)

All right, no one really calls me Ms. Rachel.  But it is cute, right?  Anyway, we always celebrate the years accomplishments with a recital in Jan or Feb.  Here is this years crew.  I was looking back at 2007's program and noticed that I have been teaching some of these kids for a while now!  It is so great to see their progression!  I started Summer and Ellie E.  And they are both getting really good.  Can you believe how many boys I have?  Half and half!  (I actually am not 'teaching' Porter, Chloe and Ellie.  But hey, they perform at my recitals anyway cause I'm the mom and it gives them a chance to play for an audience.)

My living room is transformed for the evening.  Several pieces of furniture go to the garage.  The couches get moved around a bit and many chairs are brought in.  We sat about 30 people in that front room.  Not too shabby.

I've told my kids for several years that they could quit piano lessons at age 16.  Last year I started feeling this age loom in the not too distance future for Porter and changed my mind to age 18...as I am allowed to do...It's my prerogative as a parent, right?  I've had some backlash from my change in the 'rule' as you can imagine.  

1 comment:

M&M Wilkerson Family said...

As you well know, I wanted to quit piano and violin more than a few times...but looking back I am sure glad that mom stuck out the fight with me. She said she would let me one bad day during my junior year, but when dad got home and saw how upset she was, he made the command decision to not let me quit.