Saturday, April 16, 2011

Hawaii - Day Three

We spent a really fun morning at the swap meet of all places.  We bought several trinkets and Hawaiian things.  Including another ukelele.  This one is a little nicer, and cost more and stays in tune better than the cheap ones we bought the kids in Waikiki for $10.  Anyway, fyi, the kids and I have used it a lot.  Porter knows a few songs, so does Ellie.  Interestingly, the one who begged (literally) for it (Chloe), has hardly touched it since we got home.  :)  The kids bought bracelets and key chains and other funny things.  We also ate lots of delicious pineapple, a coconut with the milk (no one liked that), boiled peanuts (Ellie and I were the only ones who liked those) and dried fruits.  

After the swap meet, we headed over to Pearl Harbor.  It was very humbling.  I can't imagine how that all really happened.  The feeling there is very stoic and quiet, even reverent.  
Posing on the Arizona memorial.
Standing on top of the world.  :)



We found Marsh names.  I don't know if they are related, but thought it was interesting.  There were no Broadbents.  



We took a little boat over and back from the Arizona memorial.

We spent some time in the museums in the site.  It was all very interesting.  Of course, I've seen the movie Pearl Harbor, but this was so much more.  So much miscommunication, so much death and sadness.  It kind of made me sick actually.  I think it's important to have the memorial, to remember, but it makes me ill to think of the details of that horrific day.  I'm glad we went there.  

We were all hot and a little tired after this, so what did we do?  Go back to the hotel and swim in the lagoon and the pool!  Perfect!

1 comment:

Liz said...

Wow Chloe is your mini-me Rach! Such a beautiful family. I love the yellow shirt you're wearing..u look great!