Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Run

So, I've been running for a few years now.  I know, crazy right?  Hey, its very trendy right now.  :)  I've been wanting to run a half marathon for a while now, but most of them are on Sundays.  But, some girlfriends of mine and I found a local one that was on Memorial Day.  So, we signed up.  It was awesome!  Training was good, not too hard, when you're with friends.  I had a few pulled muscles and things along the way.  (I don't really think I'm cut out to be a 'real' runner.)  But I was healthy and ready for the run.  My friends are faster than me.  So, at about mile 7 (on a hill) I had to slow down.  So, I was on my own for to the end.  I'm really excited that it's over and that I did it!  I finished at about 2 hours and 20 minutes.  I won't sugarcoat it.  It was hard for me.  And it was just cruel to have a little hill right before mile 13!  I would consider doing another someday...maybe.

 Teri, me and Leilani
Me, Myra and 2 other friends from Ensign

At the end of the race, I discovered that Myra (a girl that works for Ensign - Rusty's same company) and I had been keeping a similar pace the whole run.  I didn't recognize her.  I was so concentrated on myself, I really didn't look around me!
Rusty is going to run the full St. George marathon with 2 of his brothers (John and Tony) in October.  He is up to like 7 miles already in just a couple of weeks of training.  Guys have it so much easier than girls.  Ok, maybe its just me, but it took me like a year to train up to 3 miles!  :)

2 comments:

Camille said...

good for you rach! how fun to do it with teri & leilani :)

Liz said...

Congrats Rach..that's a great accomplishment! One I'd like to accomplish myself someday! Sweet!! Inspirational too!!