Monday, June 6, 2011

I Love to Sing

I sing in a group called Orange County Mormon Choral Organization.  It is so great to be singing with a group of this caliber.  It is quite a commitment to be there on a weekly basis, but luckily Rusty has been very supportive in helping me keep things going smoothly at home on those nights I'm gone.  It also helps to have a couple of in-house babysitters.  :)
This was taken from the top of the Joseph Smith Memorial Bldg. at the restaurant, The Garden.  Isn't it pretty spectacular?

Our choir and our sister choir, East Valley Mormon Choral Organization, took a trip to Salt Lake City this past week.  We got to record and perform at Abravanel Hall and also perform in the Tabernacle, both located right there in downtown SLC.  It was really cool.  We recorded an oratorio "Messiah in America" written by our director, Brett Stewart.  The words are directly from the Book of Mormon, about Christ visiting the people after his resurrection.  It is beautiful and inspiring.  I've sung this a few times now and really know the music well and I love it more than ever.  I truly believe Brett was inspired in his writing.  You cannot help but feel the spirit as this music and words describe those events.  I've sung with this group for other concerts as well, and have thoroughly enjoyed it.  But this particular music has been the most rewarding.  I think it's because of the content (coming from scripture) and also the music itself was more challenging to learn.  

 Downtown was pretty and had flowers blooming around everywhere.  I really love tulips.
 Jen, me and Melanie
Melanie is a Soelberg.  She is a few years younger than me and Jen.  In fact, her sister, Adena is our age.  I didn't really know Melanie back in high school, but it was fun getting to know her this week.

 Me, Ginny, Anna and Jennifer
I sit next to these great girls.  Every week at rehearsals, we see one another.  But sadly, we don't get to know each other real well, since we really are there to rehearse, we sing and go home.  So, it was fun to learn a little more about them on this trip.  We didn't have a lot of free time, but we did seem to hurry up to get there on time and then wait to start, so were able to visit.

One of the highlights of the week was spending time with one of my good friends, Jennifer Flake (formerly Tongring).  She sings in the EVMCO.  We rented a car and stayed with a friend up in Kaysville together.  This photo is Jen and I, in front of Graham (a friend from my stake) as he is figuring out the Tabernacle organ.
We ate out a lot this week.  We stayed away from 'fast food' and tried not to eat at any place that we could eat (like a chain) at home.  So, we ate at the Lion House, The Garden, The Blue Lemon (twice, that place was so good) and a bakery right by the Deseret Book.  It was really fun.  I do love to eat out.

In the downtime that we did have, we went to the church museum and the Beehive House.  We did the South visitors center.  They have this amazing little replica of the SLC temple.  You can see inside it and it is really neat.  Of all the time I was in SLC, I still didn't go into the Conference Center!  I am so bummed.  I really wanted to take that tour.  We parked under the center.  Oh well, another time.

2 comments:

Camille said...

what a great fun time! i'm sad i missed coming up to see it. let me know if the choir ever does that again. I would love to hear you guys, and see you ;) looks like you enjoyed it all, glad you got a break from the daily duties at home!

Liz said...

How neat Rach..I'm so glad you are able make time to do something you love. Looks like an awesome trip!