Saturday, November 14, 2009

November Nonsense


Has anyone heard of David Archeleta? OK...Just in case, he was the runner up on American Idol 2 years ago. He has a hit song "Crush" now and is pretty famous. He is also mormon.


So, last Sunday there was a youth fireside where he came and spoke and sang. Porter was obviously invited and Chloe turns 12 on the 30th, and begged to be able to go. I knew the place would be packed and no one would notice an 11 year old. :) So, a few hours before the fireside, I had stake choir practice. We are singing at an interfaith concert this Sunday. And the stake pres came and asked us to sing for the fireside. So, I got to go to the fireside too. And one of Rusty's assignments of his calling is set up of stake events, so he had an invite.


David (we are on a first name basis now) mostly talked. He talked about how he got in to singing. And his experiences on American Idol. My kids thought he was awesome. But personally I was bored. He is a very young 18 year old. Cute, but young. I did like that he was very humble. He said he didn't know why people liked his voice cause he is all nasaly. He seems like a really nice kid. But when he sang....whoa! His voice is so warm. He sang "Be Still, My Soul". I've never heard that sung quite that way. It was beautiful and amazing and moving. Then he sang "How Great Thou Art", accapela. Again, moving and joyful! He also sang "The Spirit of God". I think of that kind of like a march. But he sang it smooth and gentle and it was amazing. I wish I had those on cd. I hope he makes a hymn cd with those on it. I'd say I was a fan before. Like I have "Crush" on my ipod. But now I really feel like a fan. He is so talented. Now as a speaker, not so much. But a musician, far beyond his years.


So, at beginning of the fireside, before David arrived, we were told that he would not be signing autographs or taking photos, but that he would be leaving directly after the meeting. But at the end when they were preparing to escort him out, he said he had time to shake hands with whoever wanted to. The whole room gasped with joy at the statement! :) It was very cute. I left immediatly, to get home to my little kids while Rusty stayed to put down chairs and stuff. Porter and Chloe both shook his hand. Porter shook his hand and said hi, David answered back with huh? (He didn't hear Porter) So, Porter said hi again, the response was yet again, huh? One more time...hi, huh? Then they all laughed and Porter moved on! That seemed typical to me, Porter can be very quite sometimes. Chloe on the other hand, well, she met David and I think he heard everything she said. She told him she brought him a gift, a scripture bag she made herself. (She was bored on Saturday, so got out the sewing machine and a scrap of pink and green material and made a scripture bag.) David gushed his thanks and said he'd never had a scripture bag before. That's Chloe's story anyway. She vowed to never wash her hand again, but was forced to do so after she used the restroom later. :)


There you have it. I want to get his Christmas CD now.

2 comments:

Camille said...

that is awesome and i can guarantee makenzie would have been begging to go also. cool story and i love his voice too!

M&M Wilkerson Family said...

Ha ha!!! I REALLY want to go see him in concert when he comes to Kansas City, MO on Dec. 8th on tour...because I'm his fan (although my fav. song of his is "Touch my hand") but mainly because I am a fan of Benton Paul who is his "special guest" touring with him. You see, Benton Paul was an elder I knew on my mission. Great to be around because of his infectious smile and spirit. I even was lucky enough to sing in a quartet "How Great Thou Art" with him. Anyway, if you get the chance, check out his music in iTunes, too, 'cause it's really good. As far as December 8, I'm probably not going to be able to go...