Saturday, March 19, 2011

Sock Hop

I am the Stake Primary Secretary right now.  I love my calling, though I'm trying to keep that hush-hush. It is probably the easiest calling I've ever had (except for primary pianist)!  Again, this is hush-hush, since I don't want to be given extra things, ya know?  Anyway, one thing that we do is put on an annual Daddy Daughter party (girls ages 8-11).  Last year it was a Hoe-Down, the year before a Luau.  Tonight was the Sock Hop.  I think it was our best ever!  The girls were sooo cute!  All decked out in their poodle skirts, or other 50ish garb.  
The evening went a little like this...Start by getting your photo taken.  (This was my area.  We took the photos and the cute duo could come back and pick them up a little later after we printed them.  I brought my little Canon Selphy printer and I used 2 other machines.  We just exchanging SD cards all night, to ensure we had time to get them all printed by evenings end.)
Ellie and her Dad, Rusty
Ellie and I wore matching scarves.
We borrowed this cute skirt from a friend.  Ellie had a lot of fun twirling.  It did spin just perfectly!  At the party, we had a young women and young man from our stake come and teach the girls/dads to do some moves.  They learned the hand jive, bunny hop, and some other really cute dances.  The music was so fun!  Perfect for dancing or just singing or bopping along!  
After getting a picture taken, the cute couples could make a necklace.  We had these engraved, too cute right.  Then the girls could decorate however they wanted to with the little jewels.  This was a huge hit.
Some examples, a flower or palm tree, a wave or a music note.
We had ice cream sundae's for dessert.  There were tons of toppings to choose from, like gummy bears, crushed oreos or butterfingers, sprinkles and even whip cream and cherries!  Delish.
Now for the funniest part of the night.  We always try to incorporate our Bishop's photos into our evening.  I took the photos ahead of time and we sent them to a guy and who put them in some iconic poses.  You may recognize some faces in these, and others, you can't quite remember.  Like above, James Stewart looks an aweful like my Bishop!  :)
And who doesn't recognize a "White Christmas" scene, just not sure about the guy on the far left.  ;)

I didn't post all of them, just a couple so you'd get the idea!  Aren't they so silly.  When I first saw them, I laughed so hard!  
This one has several 'new and improved' faces.  Our stake presidency is featured here along with our stake presidents wife as Dorothy.  (Oz is original though)  So fun!  (Ok, so Oz is from the 40s, woops.)

No comments: