
Porter had a band concert last week. It was an area concert so all the school bands from around were there. All elementary 5th grade band students, the 2 middle school bands (which Porter was a part) and the high school band. It was a good show. Porter's band did really well. He also had a small solo in one song. He never mentioned it before so after the concert I asked him why he didn't tell me that he had a solo. He said he didn't know. And he explained it wasn't so much of a solo, just the other trumpeters couldn't play the part, so he had to do it alone. He never practices trumpet. The music was all new to me. But I guess his piano practice helps him out.? Anyway, I was a bit sad after the concert. It made me realize how much I don't know about him. During the other performances I could see him laughing and talking with his friends and I just felt so much love for him. I wish he would talk to me more. It isn't that he is quiet necessarily, cause when he wants he talks plenty. Just doesn't tell me stuff. I shouldn't compare, but Chloe tells me stuff all the time. When anything happens she comes home and can't wait to spill whatever is on her mind. Anyway, he isn't like that. I love him anyway. He is such a great kid.
Doesn't he look so handsome in his suit?
At the end of the concert, the high school drum line played. They were quite good! Ren was very jazzed about them. As we were walking to the car, he said when he is bigger he wants to play drums. (I thought it was funny that he knew he had to be bigger.) He then said 'Mom, like this' and proceeded to show me how he would do it by beating his hands on his legs like drumsticks. It was very cute. I used to want to play the drums too. But I played the flute. I liked that a lot too.
I was in the band in 6th, 7th and 8th grade. I also took private lessons from my band teacher. I was first chair. ;) I liked band a lot. I sat by one of my best girlfriends, Trisha Downs. I also sang in choir in junior high. So, I never took any of those 'required' health classes cause I got an excuse or something so I could do both music classes. Those were fun years. Very fun. :)




2 comments:
he is just looking so grown up and cooL! i wish i could have been there to chat with you and laurie! i still think of you guys and miss you! i promise we will come again, someday!! xoxo
You're such a great mom
Rach, I admire and love you so much. Porter is so lucky to have you as a mom as you are to have him as a son! thanks for such a fun memorable week together Rach, we are so thankful for you all!
Post a Comment