We had such fun in St. Johns, celebrating the 24th of July with a good size portion of our family! We arrived on thursday evening to attend the chili and cornbread dinner and ice cream social. The kids were so happy to be out of the car after nearly ten hours! They romped at the park, while I caught up with Jeanette, Trace, Heather, Aunt Charlotte, Grandma Helen, Grandpa Jess, Louise, Patrick and several others! Later in the evening Liz, Charles and family arrived, as well as Marilyn, Randy and their crew. Aunt Ann drove down to be with us too!
Friday was fun, we enjoyed visiting most of the day, while preparing for the campfire circle. We went down to the circle around 4 and fought the traditional galing winds while setting up 'camp'. We imagined eating gritty bbq beef and chicken and attempting to catch a few leaves of lettuce in our mouths before it blew away, then some wise one amoung us suggested doing this at home. It was decided shortly that it would be best to convene in Eric and Charlotte's yard. It was great fun, we dined with our group plus Aunt Esther's family. As the evening wore on, the talking didn't cease, but the wind started to, thank goodness. But then...the mosquites came to have their dinner! So, after sharing our blood with a few lucky insects, we called it a night. Richard, Merilee, Michelle, James and Christopher arrived in their motorhome on friday. It was so much fun to be with them. The family dance was that night. I really wanted to go, but due to some family obligations (Ren, specifically) wasn't able. Chloe went in my stead, dancing all the fast songs with Lexy and Maddy. She said she had so much fun, every time she thought a boy looked like he was coming her way to ask her to dance, she scurried away. Only her cousins, Lars and Stephen were able to drag her out for a slow dance.
We skipped the pancake breakfast on saturday morn, but did make it to the always entertaining if a little slow, parade! As usual, we sat outside Uncle Eric's office. I especially enjoyed the float that held the guitar singing group that Grandma Farr helped start (Aunt Esther was aboard) and the fire truck that literally soaked anyone in it's path. There were really two groups of bystanders, those who ran from the fire truck and those who ran for the fire truck! All my children ran for the truck, and proclaimed that their favorite float, although any one throwing candy was a pretty close second. I had to disagree, no one threw chocolate. After the parade, the kids scattered in different directions, while a few of us went in to the museum that Grandma's parents founded. Ellie and Ren came with me, to view the 'guns and old things from our ancestors' as Ellie described it! Grandma told us a few stories as we looked around. We skipped the rodeo this year, we were having so much fun talking, we didn't even really think about it. We attempted the swimming pool, but much to our dismay they blew the whistle right as our kids jumped in, closing the pool due to rain and lighting. The bright side is that we showered the kids there, thus freeing the bathroom at the house! That evening was the steak bbq at the city park. After talking and eating and more talking, I decided to search for my children and found them down by the swings and slides. To my dismay the city took out the death trap of a merry-go-round and even the way too tall metal slide, to put in more kid friendly safe toys! I tried to descibe to my children the fun we had on those as kids. They couldn't get the just of joy I felt Scott and Mark twirling me around and around so fast I couldn't hold on any longer and flew off, but not before getting caught underneath and dragged a bit before face planting in the sand! Or what about the super high slide that would burn my legs as I slid down? Good times! After scolding Ellie and MaryJane for playing in the huge mud puddles underneath the swings, we went home to change (the girls were soaked in muddy water - Ellie's underwear was brown). We had the great pleasure of attending a musical program that Richard's family put on for us. I guess they do these around Utah, a few times a year. It was fabulous! They are all so talented! Michelle is going to BYU to get her masters in vocal performance, so you can imagine how wonderful she sounded! James, who is headed on a mission in the not too distant future, sounds a lot like Richard, butter! And little Christopher, sweet adorable 7 year Christopher was awesome! And Merilee said he held back quite a bit, possibly intimidated by his boy cousins sitting on the middle row. If he did hold back, I couldn't tell! He was so funny, he sang a few cute numbers including one about 'dear old dad' and even told a joke. In their finally number, he had a small part, and after he was through came down and sat with his row (the boys). It was like, I'm done and out of here!
On Sunday, we attended Sacrament meeting (can you believe it is such big holiday for them that they don't have other meetings, like Christmas or something?) where Uncle Eric gave a great message. We closed down the stake center, we all stayed so long after to visit. And of course, I had joked about how easy it would be to leave a child in that town, since everyone was driving everyone else's kids and sometimes, we weren't sure who had what kids, so I left Ellie and MJ at church! By the time I came to get them, MJ was starting to cry. Luckily, Ellie and Emily were there to comfort her and I guess they had sense enough to know I'd be back! After church, I packed it up and got ready to go. We had a semi-quick photo session and a very long good-bye out on the front lawn. After several times of me telling the kids to get in the car, Randy finally helped my out by using his booming voice to get them to respond! They hopped to it after that! We had the traditional drive-away goodbye, with everyone out of the lawn waving and such as we drove away. It was so good to be there, but a bit strange since I am now the one driving away instead of hanging out the window blowing kisses and shouting goodbye for the umpteen time!
It was such a great trip. We made some wonderful memories! And I didn't go through Mesa as I had planned. I missed Rusty too much and just wanted to go home. So, we rolled in about 1 am. I was so tired I had to eat sunflower seeds to stay awake...my tongue is still raw! Thanks to Grandma Helen and Grandpa Jess for a great weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Wow! What a weekend...I wish I could have been there. It brought back memories of when I first celebrated the 24th in St. Johns..We had so much fun at the ice cream social, the rodeo, the circle campfire...so much fun...I sure miss everyone...thanks for sharing the pictures! Loves and hugs from us!
good job ..............
Post a Comment